Wednesday, October 05, 2011

A Message Left Behind on a Field of Green
As I looked down from the Heavenly sky
I saw a bonfire whose bright flames flared high
As the light reflected from the fire’s glow
I suddenly realized it was my family and friends, that I loved so

I can never tell you what it meant to me that night
When the stars shined and the cold winds blew, but somehow it felt right
To each of you standing in a simple field of green
It was so surreal like I was there, if you know what I mean

Maybe I was, but you did not know
As you told stories about me from so long ago
Even though I wasn’t standing there even though I did part
I still felt your love for me that you had in your heart

And later should you pass by this green field again
I hope you always remember the good times when
The jokes we told, the good times, the laughter
Are now left behind in that green field, forever after

Therefore, I guess this should be a final goodbye
As you depart tonight, leave behind the tears that you cry
Thank you for honoring me tonight
When the cold winds blew and a fire shined bright

Yes, we say goodbye and we will always remember when
The loved shared, the good times, between family and friends.
As I look down from the Heavenly sky
The fire has gone and the flames have died
The light reflecting upon you no longer will glow
Tonight in a field of green, it is time for a final goodbye as I go

Donna Spencer
Donna’s Magic Pen©
November 15, 2008
Dedicated to Jody Hudson

No comments: